Within the gardens of Peterhof, on a small island, stands the Hermitage Pavilion. Designed by Johann Braunstein and built by Peter the Great after 1721, it was intended as a secluded dining space for the Tsar and his closest associates. Distinguished by its pink stonework and square Corinthian columns, the building contains a large dining hall on the upper floor, with a kitchen and service rooms on the ground level. As dawn or sunset light filters through the pavilion’s expansive windows, the shifting tones of the foliage and the architecture create an atmosphere of quiet serenity and grandeur that the printmaker captures with particular sensitivity.